RE: Line6 Echo Pro

Title: RE: Line6 Echo Pro

>>Does anyone know or use that thing? How suitable is it for looping? Can feedback be controlled?
How is MIDI control or control on the device itself?
I was thnínking about getting one since it's rackformat is handy. SInce I play ambient music with lots of evolving textures, a long loop time would be nice.<<

we have three of them in my band.
(long-form electronic/jazz/blues space-rock improv trio- guitar/bass/drums/hardware sequencers, mellotron & synths)

my guitarist just played with his for the first time properly- he loves the echo models but says, loop-wise, it's not user-friendly or flexible enough to be considered a replacement for his precious lexicon jamman. the front panel is too fiddly to use for live looping anyway, & the (mono) looper certainly isn't the box's best feature, even though the memory has been pushed out somewhat from the fourteen seconds of the floor version (DL4).

line6 are kicking themselves for dropping this product- I just got one repaired (ebay d.o.a., but it was very cheap because of this, & line6-UK fixed it for about £30 including delivery & in less than a week. solid people.) & all they could talk about was how many folks call them to say "w.t.f. did you stop making the echo-pro?" but it had multiple bad reviews on harmony central & other sites, so basically it's "our" fault. hmpst.

it takes an expression pedal, neat, up the rear, which does the same as the DL4's pedal. it takes midi-clock (hooray!). the other midi stuff is all fully configurable- you can even put two or more parameters under control of the same midi CC, not that you'd want to..... I recall that there's some stuff you can do with note numbers but don't have the book here now- I think this is for running the looper, which looked sort of interesting.... but.....

but I'm using it for the stereo delay modelling. I wish the delay times were even longer- I could care less about a minute of loop memory, when there's a repeater next to it in the same rack. best thing it has over the mighty DL4 is the midi clocking, closely followed by the binson "platter" model, the only one that wasn't on the DL4. the rest are the same, only (more) stereo & a bit longer. & the mains unit is built-in & universal.

my three are all slightly different shades of green too. the overall look of the thing can be a bit christmas tree, & they should've given it digital i/o aswell as the "pro" XLRs, but it's a good box for the money.

hth-

duncan.