Need advice for costumizable GUI monitoring software

Hi Everybody,

Speaking about computers:
I'm currently setting up a live-looping environment in Ableton Live
and realizing that I may be running into problems because I can't see
what's going on with all my parameters. So now I'm looking for a
software utility that will let me fabricate small buttons that show
the state of different parametes. Like for example, I'm sending MIDI
Note Number 9 to freeze a loop. Next time I send the same note the
loop is unfreezed and new audio input can be layered into the spin.
When working four such loops at the same time it becomes hard to keep
track of which loops are open and which are freezed at a certain
moment. So I need some sort of graphical indicator (simply shifting
from green to red on the passing of a defined MIDI event). I know you
can make such things in MAX, but I think it's a bit overkill to buy
max only for a little graphical monitoring. Any tips?

Using both OS X and Windows XP and I might need this kind of utility
on both systems.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)