RE: CD SALES DECLINING?

At 1:09 PM -0500 1/10/06, Warren Sirota wrote:

>Other tunes I've downloaded have sometimes resulted in CD purchases,
>sometimes not. IF THERE WERE DECENT RADIO STATIONS, I WOULDN'T HAVE TO
>DOWNLOAD *ANYTHING*. If I had an Internet connection everywhere - in the
>car, in the kitchen, etc. - I would never listen to anything but free
>internet radio (btw, is there a looping station on Live365?).

The closest I've found is Eklektik Radio (
http://www.live365.com/stations/chromatosis ), but that's only
because our sub-genre dovetails with the whole
experimental/alternative scene.

Previously, I've lived in areas where there was nothing but corporate
radio, and it's nearly driven me bonkers.  Now, I'm extremely lucky
to be back somewhere that I have three really great college radio
stations nearby which weren't compromised by (read: sold out to) the
"Billboard Alternative Chart" (WZRD, NE IL Univ; WLUW, Loyola; &
WNUR, Northwestern).  All three do realtime streaming on the net --
WZRD from Live365, and the other two from their own websites -- so
there's a another pointer.  But, as you mentioned, that doesn't do
you much good in the car...  :P

>In terms of the morality of file sharing, or music stealing, if you will:
>think of it in terms of the speed limit. Everyone flaunts the speed limit,
>but no-one faults them on morality - even though the consequences can be
>far
>more serious than denying a record company a profit opportunity.

I can't stand the analogy record companies use to compare file
sharing to, say, shoplifting -- most of all, because it's faulty.
Outright stealing not only transfers goods to the thief that they did
not otherwise have, but also *it removes the item from the
marketplace and any hope of future purchase*.  This metaphor would
only be true if you downloaded the file, then erased it from the
server on your way out the door.

Digital files, it theory, can be copied an infinite number of times.
So, I usually use the analogy that illegal file sharing is like
copying somebody else's homework.  Yes, you're getting something you
didn't "pay for", but you're not depriving the original copy from the
ability to fulfill its primary function.

>In terms of the effect on the music industry: if the major record
>companies
>go under, it will mostly make life better for me. I think music as whole
>can
>benefit greatly from decentralization.

Couldn't agree more!

        --m.

--
_______
"I want to reach my hand into the dark and *feel* what reaches back..."