RE: behringer 1602

Title: RE: behringer 1602

>>has anyone tried the behringer 1602 rack mount mixer? it looks decent
for a one rack space.. 16 mono/8 stereo line-ins with a monitor send...<<

I have two behringer desks. neither of them are the 1602, they're both regular 19" console-shaped.

one is an old (maybe 10 years) 2842 which needed new capacitors in it's power supply after a period of non-use when it was about 8- otherwise a decent enough desk.

the new one has a mixture of mono & stereo inputs, is rackmounted & has decent eq, aux sends, direct outs, insert points, grouping & a master stereo effect. so far no complaints. can't remember the model number, but in my studio it was a real problem-solver, as I can now route stuff to either my revox 4-track or my korg 8 track without having to use a patch-bay- the two pairs of group outputs & the main mix out all carry different stuff, while the remaining channels on the 8-track can be used for mics or DI'd guitar/bass/whatever. sonically, the behringer seems to be very quiet, & handles loads of level without noticeable distortion.

& I'm sure that, as he often has in the past, uli has "drawn inspiration" from someone else's design. I have no idea how they do it so cheaply- these two desks aren't flimsy, by any means. the older has been gigged a lot.

I have a smaller rackmount mixer- the alesis 12R I think it's called.
I think the behringers will outlast it, though it seemed like a good idea at the time....

but as the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

duncan/r.m.i.

www.radiomassacreinternational.com