Re: EDP and StylusRMX

At 08:48 PM 1/15/2006, hazard factor wrote:
>Also, since this is my first foray into midi sync, I have a question: If I
>have an existing loop, say, 13 seconds, and the EDP gets a sync signal, it
>should truncate the loop to fit the new tempo, right? Because this isn't
>happening. If I start with an empty loop, the EDP finds the sync pulse,
>and
>syncs (2.6 secs at 90bpm), and then I can add bass lines, etc and
>everything
>is perfect. But if I have an existing loop, it keeps on playing and
>ignores
>any sync pulse. Yes, the sequencer starts, but the EDP keeps playing
>without
>lining up the loop...maybe I don't quite have this understood yet.

The echoplex will sync if the clock is close to what it expects, based on
the loop time and 8ths/cycle parameter. If the clock tempo gets off from
the expected tempo by more than a few BPM, the Echoplex will assume you
meant to change the tempo radically and go out of sync. It will then stop
trying to sync to the incoming midi clock.

This would be a problem if you are recording echoplex loops first and then
trying to start the sync clock, as they probably have no relation to each
other. You really want to have the sync slave record second. The master
should be first.

You might want to try having the Echoplex be the master, and send sync
clocks to the sequencer. Or do unrounded multiplies to redefine the loop
similar to what fits the tempo. You could even do the un-rhythmic stuff on
the Echoplex first, then do unrounded-multiply at the same time as
starting
the sequencer, so it comes in at the same tempo as the new-ly defined loop.

My guess is you will also find the re-align commands really interesting if
you are playing around with these areas.

kim