Re: Maybe why Avante-garde looping in US...

hehe that's my approach. i don't bother with counting
when i can help it, just feel and play. looping is
perhaps cheating in that sense, because you don't have
to play the same thing twice and whatever rhythm
you're trying to keep is locked in for you for the
most part.

as far as hip hop goes, i used to play in a hip hop
band. most everything is in 4/4 but there's a lot of
little rhythmic complexities/interlocking parts going
on in there. especially when you have beat-makers
using MPCs and creating non-standard (and often
unplayable) hi hat patterns, drum patterns, or
whatever, which is exactly what the neptunes do and
charge millions of dollars for. i agree that it's not
exactly rocket science but the aesthetic is all about
feel and groove, being a little behind the beat or
whatever, and therein lie the intricacies.

that said, i'm no longer in a hip hop band because,
quite frankly, it got boring.