Re: Indian syllabic rhythms

At 09:50 AM 2/3/2006, you wrote:
>     BTW, anyone into Sheila Chandra?

I was into Sheila Chandra a while ago.  A _while_ ago.  At the same
time, I also listened a lot to Najma.  I have her on _vinyl_.  What
Sheila is doing is what every Indian tabla player does first:  learn
to say all the bols (syllables) and then learn how to put the bols
together into tals (rhythmic cycle).  A good site if you're
interested in tabla is:
http://chandrakantha.com/tablasite/
Chandra (different Chandra) and David also have an excellent series
of textbooks on Tabla which are available from the site.

Finally, if you're in the Eugene, Oregon, USA area I can point you to
our tabla player, who holds a BA in Tabla and has been playing since
he was six years old.  He may still be taking students.

Cheers,
Kevin

The Nettles: Progressive and Exciting Celtic Music
www.TheNettles.com