Re: The Dark Age

Kevin wrote:

> If the clubs are no good in your town then check the
> other venues, the ones posted on telephone poles and bulletin
> boards.  Check out house concerts.  Have a music party and jam with
> a bunch of other folks, especially folks who play really different
> music from what you listen to.  Music isn't a commodity it's a
> community.

Indeed!  My favorite gigs of the last few years have all been house
parties and warehouse shows put on by people creating alternatives to the
"club scene".
For those of you who have never put on a house concert, you'd be surprised
how little it takes and how fun it is.  And since there is no "club
overhead" to
feed, %100 of the door goes to the musicians, who usually end up with more
$ than your average club gig.  The audience usually has a more rewarding
experience because they are there specifically to hear music, so you have
already filtered out most of the "I wanna go to the bar to drink and talk"
crowd
that can be at odds with the "I wanna listen to music crowd".

The usual standard around here is $5 to $10 sliding scale with noone
turned away for lack of funds, BYOB, and the house provides a bowl of
chili or
something.  Sometimes at larger warehouse shows the house will sell
beer/wine at very cheap rates (eg, $2 a beer).

Anyway, there are alternatives out there.

Joe Rut

Search for businesses by name, location, or phone number.  -Lycos Yellow
Pages