OT: Lexicon front panel display

Hi Gang:
I need to pick your mighty, collective brain.

My Lexicon MPX-500's front panel display flickers, sometimes to the point
of invisibility, and when it does, it also makes this disconcerting burst
of white noise, a sputtering crunch not unlike a tube amp that hasn't been
serviced in a long time.

I have measured the wall voltage to check for fluctuations, but the
voltage stays steady while my beloved box makes that dire noise and the
display flickers like the lights on the Titanic,so I'm pretty sure it's
not a surge/brownout issue.

I'd be grateful for any ideas.

Yours in SOund,
Tim