Re: delays and Fripps`soundscape

From: rune fagereng (but in 'Rich Text' mode!)
>Does anyone know how to get close to Fripps` soundscape by using the
>delay.

While I 'get close to' RF's soundscapes just by listening to them I wonder
that you're not more interested in the tape-to-tape method than the
newly-branded 'soundscapes' RF's been playing for over 10 years now.  But
in
interest to the new method, I have a pair of Zoom 2100s that each have
32-second sample/playback (not in the additive loop mode), and a DigiTech
'Time Machine' with 7.6 seconds (this one running a sound-on-sound loop).
If I do the following I believe the structure of what I'm playing begins
approach the soundscapes structure:

1. Set up underlying loop on the DigiTech by building.

2. Close loop on DigiTech.

3. Play supporting bits on Zoom 2100 #1, 32-second record.  Put aside.

4. Play supporting bits - leaning more towards slight solo - on Zoom 2100
#2, 32-second record. Put aside.

>From this stage you can do a couple of things for variation:

5a. Play back Zoom 2100 #1's sample and leave it running
5b. Ditto for Zoom 2100 #2 (why the two should be complimentary)
5c. Open the DigiTech looper and add the overlapping Zooms to it.
5d. Fill in further textures with input instrument.

6. Record the entire result.  Put aside.
7. Fool your friends, fun at parties.

As far as mix-delay sound, the DigiTech produces three outputs, Dry, Mix,
and Phased - the Phased tends to cancel out the Mix output if at similar
volumes.  As a TV chef would say, mix until consistent.  Aka As you like
it.

HTH.
Stephen Goodman

* Cartoons about DVDs and Stuff