Re:Re: Percussive Sounds on El. Guitar

>But here is the big advice from what I have learned:  If one is
>trying to create the "sounds" of drums, be that of kick snare,
>hi-hat etc. , then you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Hi Max,
While I agree wholeheartedly that your approach is a good way to go,
I have to disagree that it's all that hard to emulate sounds that are
close enough to a drum kit to function in the same way.

http://www.andybutler.com/mp3/static.mp3
represents what I found possible using a cheap multi-FX
(though like you, I mostly make percussive sounds just by playing
technique).

To emulate a kick drum, using technique (& maybe FX) is a lot of fun,
and also leads to the discovery of a whole range of sounds.
...not "disappointment" ;-) , well not for me anyway.

>   The sounds coming off the gtr really do not sound like the real thing.

neither do a lot of popular drum sounds, that's a factor that makes
emulation easier

andy butler