nemogtr THANKS! / zoom g2- fripp sound / experimenting using 2 digitial modellers

1.michael/nemogtr MANY THANKS for the kind words....hey i try (and i like hearing others work, it inspires me to try new things!)...and i think 1/2 the fun is coming up w/ packaging (puts that mfa in pntg to use i guess)....as for kids-can't play or do anything for longer than 10 min b/4 one of them pops up, so record them.... they add nice spontaneous (sp?) creativity at times (they are entertaining as frank zappa said) and hey, my 2 yr old was banging away on my 2 acoustics w/ a stick while i was trying to do some recording this weekend, he was making some good percussive sounds doing that!
2. zoom g2 -fripp sounds--i decided to try to mimic some of what i've heard of fripps recent soundscapes (thinking the opening track to king crimson dvd & the radiophonics cd i have of live stuff from south america, where he takes a while to really build a piece, very quiet starts)...i set up the 5 sec delay w/ about 50% feedback, and then set the multi-tap delay to 3 secs at 90% feedback...i was using more clean sounds (not the standard fuzz w/ octave below-which i use too much at times), and then used a volume pedal to swell sounds in, and the g2 is able to mimic some of the stuff i've heard fripp doing more recently w/ his digital setup....granted in watching the crimson dvd, & knowing how he works  w/ multiple loops that he swells in and out, i couldn't really duplicate the complexity of what he does, but the essence of the sound is do-able w/ the g2....oh, i also had to use my sampler to record 6 sec of one of the slow building drones, but i did record a bit, and was happy w/ the results and was amazed that the track ended up being 10 min long, i really lost track of time....
3. experimenting-well over the last few weeks i had been thinking of experimenting w/ hooking up both of my digital modelers (digitech rp100 & zoom g2) and after listening to the fennesz 'endless summer' (interesting processed noise) decided to try. wow, you can get some interesting sounds. sort of an endless array of possibilties, but i will say one thing, i, as a gtrist, always thinking of/worrying about sound (again all the hero's sounds in mind), w/ this setup, it is not the vintage organic warm tubey sound that all the greats shoot for...its the exact opposite, but will say that w/ 2 distorted patches going w/ compression, the endless sustain that a fernandes sustainer can get can be mimiced for a bit...., and w/ 2 reverb patches you get other unreal sounds... and could get some interesting delay things setting digitech delay to 2 sec and zoom's delay to 2.5 sec.... i think i had read some guitarist (or was it mudhoney, can't remember?) that uses multiple distortion boxes for range of sound....a bit extreme, but fun to explore....if i had to characterize the sound, it reminds me of a zappa comment about "tweezy sounds"....oh well.....happy looping....s---

Yahoo! Mail