Re: Audio Interface for Notebook Users

At 10:37 PM -0500 3/23/06, Brian Good wrote:

>Heh.  That's why you probably don't want to buy version 1.0 of
>anything, or version 5.0 from some companies.

Oh yeah, I know exactly what you mean.  However, Alesis seems to have
this crazy R&D department that occasionally comes up with totally
off-the-wall stuff, which is extremely cool but completely misses the
market (for instance, their ModFX/Ineko/Akira effects).  That stuff
never seems to make it to rev 2.x.

>Personally I've had bad luck with an early M-Audio Firewire 410, for
>example.

Weirdly enough, my M-Audio Quattro was the only time I can remember
where my experience was just exactly the opposite.  I got one of the
very first units out of the assembly line (one of the ones that bear
the "Mac Only" stickers).  A local music store had been sitting on it
a while, so I got a deal.  After they got into full production, there
were complaints left and right about 'em (just check Harmony
Central).  But my early-production model with the latest drivers
worked flawlessly -- still does.  And this is even on my old Sony
Vaio, despite the little sticker and instructions that say that it
shouldn't work with an Intel machine at all.

That's the exception, though.  Usually, your advice to avoid new
releases is right on.

        --m.

--
_______
"If Television is a babysitter, then the Internet is a drunk