music is political

having the view that looping is politically subversive as it is non-
mainstream music, and at least for me associated with ideas such as
improvisation, subversion, personal freedom and individual
expression, i thought this series of articles might be of interest to
some on the list.

i understand that some people are put off by political and/or
theoretical topics. would they limit this list to discussing multi-
thousand dollar commercial products and their merits? to me music is
political, so to be concerned with music is to be concerned with
politics. besides, it's interesting ;)  so, why not have a discussion
with like-minded "musical subversives"? or just read the article.
this list is for sharing things of "value" with others, and i found
this series of articles quite valuable.

excerpt:

> Attali wrote that: "Listening to music is listening to all noise,
> realising that its appropriation and control is a reflection of
> power, that it is essentially political ... The theorists of
> totalitarianism have all explained that it is necessary to ban
> subversive noise because it betokens demands for cultural autonomy,
> support for differences and marginality: a concern for maintaining
> tonalism, the primacy of melody, a distrust of new languages, codes
> or instruments, a refusal of the abnormal - these characteristics
> are common to all regimes of that nature".

from: "Industrial Prehistory: Anti-Music"

this article: http://media.hyperreal.org/zines/est/articles/
prehist5.html

full set of articles: http://media.hyperreal.org/zines/est/articles/
preindex.html