Re: Music is not political (Was Re: music is political)

well, i guess the premise in the quote i originally included was that
the more establishment music is the more conservative in form. that
is, the most widely accepted form of music, or way of organizing
noise. to use the term chords is to buy into the system at some
level. so if a person believes that a certain government is fascist,
for example, popular music could be seen as reinforcing this. music
which most people don't even consider music could be seen as the most
radical as it is defying the dominant value-system, whose ultimate
purpose is of course control. a much broader system of control than
"left wing" or "communist" labels imply. an interesting topic, and
the history of sound use in the original article i thought also. of
course everyone can read it or not, and think what they will. as
stimulation for thought it seemed something people concerned with a
somewhat off-mainstream way of making music might appreciate.

-3nki