Re: Music is not political (Was Re: music is political)

a k butler wrote:
> I'm not at all sure that one has to understand music to enjoy it.
> Rather the opposite, if anything.

There is also an emotional understanding, which is required. To quote
Xenakis: Music is not a language.
But it has an aspect of communication. The musician does express some
feelings, the listener will resonate if there is an emotional
understanding. The feelings of the performer and the feelings of the
listener do not need to be the same, (no language with clear mappings)
but it needs to have a common space of resonance otherwise nothing would
happen.
I did not refer to intellectual understanding, this could even distract
the resonances, but sometimes it can also help...

If I don't like music, I should consider not understanding it, to be
able to finally find the beauty in it. But still if I understand, I
could dislike it... If I don't, I don't know yet if I could like it.

Stefan

--

  [][]  [][][]  [][]  [][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]