RE: Further OT: Selmer Clones (was RE: Joscho Stephan)

Hey Warren,

I'm up in Canada, so I had to buy online, and I started with a Gitane
(Saga)
250M, which is the long scale (27") "lead" guitar w/small oval hole. Cost
me
around $600 US from Elderly's.. VERY brash loud guitar. fast attack, quick
decay.. definitely in the ballpark soundwise- but you gotta use those
light
silver coated 'manouche' style strings, and the guitar was shipping
w/generic bronzes. Guys like Bireli Lagrene can use a 25 cent dunlop pick,
but I also NEED a fat (2-3mm!!) gypsyjazz pick.. I like Wegens (at 15
bucks
a pop! I've only got one!!).

The big problem w/the 250M was the neck profile - skinnier than an
electric
'shredder', I just couldn't get used to it, so I traded up for a John
Jorgenson signature Gitane (DG300) which cost around a grand. Warmer tone
(rosewood & spruce as opposed to maple) BUT BEST OF ALL, a real chunky
selmeroid neck- highly recommended.

Michael Horowitz @djangobooks.com has started selling a whole slew of GJ
guitars, and this one's almost $200 cheaper than I paid - plus he's got a
guy who'll do a setup, so the guitar'll be good to go right out the box
(I've had to do some work on more than one Korean made guitar).

I've bought some books, DVDs & CDs from Michael, and I wouldn't hesitate
buy a guitar from him. If I ever decide to get really serious about this
style, I'd probably get something a bit more upscale (Deii'Arte, maybe?)
from Michael, but the DG300 is actually a pretty fine guitar.. Angelo
DeBarre was playing one last time I saw him, and it sounded just as good
as
any Dupont, Favino, etc.. and Joscho himself was playing a Hofner!?! if
memory serves, but cats like him can make anything sound good..

Hope this helps!

david