Re: E-bow question

At 4:18 PM +0200 5/7/06, nico spahni wrote:
>Speaking of which, I've been thinking about getting one, too. I
>mostly play clean, though, and I've only seen and heard people use
>it with distorted sounds. Does it work equally well with
>non-distorted, that is clean sounds?

As others have mentioned, yes, you can get clear, ringing (almost
sine-like) tones.  One frequently-used E-Bow technique, though, is to
move the little bugger directly over the top of the pickup.  This
will force the magnetic field into the pickup itself, and cause the
that pickup to overdrive.  So, you can start with a clean tone by
placing the E-Bow way up the neck, for instance, then "fade up" the
distortion by gradually moving it closer and closer until you're over
the pickups themselves.

It's a really seductive technique, since your guitar feels alive in
your hands anyway.  That's probably a portion of why you say that
you've only heard people use it with distorted sounds.

        --m.

--
_______
"I want to keep you alive so there is always the possibility of