RE: e-bow the double bass, was Re: Re:Re Ebow question

I concur with all below. I also added my own channels on the e-bow made of
plastic and velcro for the strings guide to make life simpler. I can now
use
a bass with any string spacing.
David Grego
The Tuba Electric

=================================
On Mon, 8 May 2006, ditch wrestler wrote:

>  Has anybody ever seen soembody use an e-bow on a double bass (you know,
>the big upright ones, not the acoustic bass guitars)?

Not on an acoustic upright bass, but I have some experience with E-Bow on
electric upright bass which is hopefully at least tangentially interesting
to your question.

I use (on occasion) an E-Bow with an electric upright bass (Zeta
Crossover),
and have tested out an E-Bow on a NS Design full-size electric double
bass.
It works ok, for given values of ok:

1) given the string spacing is not a guitar, holding the E-Bow in air can
be
interesting. I have the same problem w/E-Bow on Chapman Stick, and my
solution is usually to use the thumb as a pivot hinge to "clamp" the E-Bow.

2) Given the high amplitude of a long, heavy bass string, the string
easily
exceeds the "sweet spot" of the E-Bow field. So holding the E-Bow closer
the headstock, where the swing of the string is less, helps. However, that
exacerbates the third issue:

3) The E-Bow is designed to work with the weight of a guitar string. Bass
strings tend to be much thicker, weigh much more, and therefore take more
time to get up to speed. For example, on my Zeta Crossover, it can take
more
than 30 seconds for the E-Bow to vibrate the E string enough to get an
audible note.
(As a workaround, the E-Bow site has advice on how to speed up a note's
appearance, even with guitar strings, including a quiet "tap" of the E-Bow
on the string, picking or tapping the string above your fretting hand,
anything to help overcome the string's inertia.)

I've considered building a magnum e-bow with more power, and perhaps a
larger channel, for my use with bass.

best,
Steve B
Subscape Annex