Re: A musical problem

On 19 maj 2006, at 04.33, Dave Thomas wrote:

> Hi all, I am having a problem with my looping.  Namely, I cannot
> easily "change tack" and speed up or do other rapid changes.  I was
> wondering what you guys do to affect dramatic changes in a looping
> performance w/o it sounding clunky or having to go back to "square
> one".

Very interesting thread! I agree with Gareth that setting up multiple
loops to jump between is a good way. On the EDP (I don't know which
loopers you are using) each loop will also remember a different tempo.

I won't repeat all Gareths good advice but just add pitch shifting.
On a Repeater and in Mobius (still with some artifacts, though) pitch
shifting is an easy way to create multiple chords or a key change.

Generally there is two concepts for coming up with dramatic changes
in live looping. One is to create many loops to jump between and the
other concept is to use one loop (with lots of layered parts) that
will of course lend it self for manipulation with more drama.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)