Re: RME PCI cardbus vs Firewire

On 25 maj 2006, at 00.36, L.A. Angulo wrote:

> gang,
> is there a difference between cards using PCI bus and
> firewire in terms of cpu performance and stability or
> is it just a driver issue?which one would u use for
> faster stable performance and reliability? i am
> looking for more user info primarily on the RME cards,
> if anyone has experience with them and school me a bit
> on this id appreciate it.
> thanx
> Luis

By technical specifications the PCI (and PCMCIA cardbus) protocol is
slightly faster than firewire 800. Firewire 400 is a little bit
faster than USB 2. But how this affects the system depends also on
how you use it (multi track?)  and how you combine it with other
gear. For example a lot of audio channels going through a firewire
interface may work less stable if also a firewire drive is used on
the same port for file storage or sample streaming playback. Also,
some audio interfaces don't perform so well if MIDI cc data is
shuffled through its MIDI in/out port (as is the case with my RME
Multiface and that's why I use a separate USB MIDI port to get the
optimal audio performance out of the PCI or Cardbus connected
Multiface).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)