Re: Computers and Global responsibility - was RE: Snap, Crackle, Pop - VST Effect & Sound Card Problems

Hal

thank you for entering this "FAQ" subject
here is a reply for the Snap,Crakle, Krispen show thread I didnt send,
because I found it a little too provocative at that moment but I changed
my
mind :=)
here it is-
---------------------------

During all these month long "puter setup blogs" , hardware musicians where
playing, composing, practicing, enjoying life using gear they really know.

dobidobi--dow

:=)

Claude

Ap13-Switchblade-2 edps- Gforce- pcm80- Clavia G2- 8port se- pc1600x -
pmc10 -

almost the same setup since year 2000 and almost no HW failure (GForce had
slowly diying display and I had to change the batteries in the pmc10 )

And yes it is a lot heavier but I setup in 15 min from closed racks to
tuned
guitars

I programmed all sounds, all fx, all configs myself, I know exactly all
buttons, functions, pedals years ago.
I can play the devices fast, improvise with them, all relaxed without the
"display angst looper face"

and also yes, it is a very very expensive setup compared to a laptop a
sound
card and "free" softwares.

but I still think analog mixing/summing of different sources/devices sounds
a lot better, richer and punchier than bit crunched sources comming out all
from the same DA converter

and

no latency in my vocabulary