Re: Hiromi

I wasn't going to chime in, but I have to agree.  I have a buddy who's a
huge Vai fan, and I just don't get it.

I heard a great Queen-esque guitar solo on the radio a few months ago, and
I went off on a rant on the lack of that sort of thing in modern music.
When I ended with the question "what ever happened to guitar solos
anyway?" my wife responded without a second thought: "guitar players."
And she was probably right... as much as I hate to admit it (being a
guitar-solo nut myself).  There's just been too much "wankery," and not
enough "soul."  Too much Vai, not enough Vaughan.

I think a lot of musicians make the music about the musician rather than
the other way around.  Obviously, I can't ever make a blanket statement
about any artist being that way, but when I catch that self-important vibe
in a tune--be it prog rock or hip hop--it just makes me want to turn the
thing off.

As far as Hiromi goes, the part I enjoyed was the smiling interaction
between the musicians at the end.  No way I could listen to that stuff all
the time, but I have to respect the precision, and I'm blown away that
they could have fun doing that!

--Josh