Re: Sloppyness (was: Re: Hiromi)

> As an aside to this already off-topic thread, one of my complaints with
> something like a Berklee / GIT education is that they drill the mistakes
> right out of you. A side effect of this is that people are left with
>only
> their imagination to rely on, as they rarely have need to recover from
> mistakes, which is often some of the most inventive playing, IMO.

I had a friend when I was learning to play who told me if I made a
mistake,
just repeat it and everybody will think I did it on purpose. ;)

Wasn't it Miles Davis who said that if you aren't making mistakes, you
aren't playing Jazz?

I do agree that there is a lot to be said for how you recover from a
mistake
and how you learn from them.  So much of what I've been doing lately is
complete improv which seems rooted in exploration and exploitation of
mistakes!

Tony