RE: oud simulator?

Sounds like a sweet project. i wanna hear the results.
Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: mech [mailto:mech@m3ch.net]
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 2:59 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: oud simulator?

At 7:26 PM +0200 6/22/06, Torstein H. Rem wrote:
>I`m quite convinced no pedal will do the job. Maybe if you go midi
>guitar you might
>find something, don`t know about the Roland VG88 either.

There's at least one guy over on the VG list who's using one of the
Godin fretless nylon-string Multiacs (
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinmultnylonfretlessp.htm ) with one of
the Roland VG units.  He just raves about its sound and response.

I'm betting you could probably get a pretty passable Oud sound from
using a fretless with either a VG-8 or a VG-88, with the added bonus
that the VG series -- especially the VG-8 -- has really extensive
re-tuning abilitlies.  So, you could go from standard guitar tuning
to Oud tuning (or even switch between different Oud tunings --
Arabian DGADGC to Iraqi FADGCF, for instance, without breaking a
string) at merely the press of a footswitch.

For my latest Frankenproject, in fact, I've been planning on taking
the course Bill originally suggested and having the frets pulled on
my old Vox 12-string, then tuning it for 11-string Arabian and having
a GK-3 retrofitted.  I'm looking at keeping it as a steel string,
though (I'm currently trying to match up the proper string gauges to
that tuning since I want to avoid using any wound strings, with the
possible exception of the "bam" which might end up as a flatwound).

However, I'm not really trying to perfect an Oud sound, despite what
it may seem.  I just think the Arabian tuning would work well on such
an instrument, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what it will
do with the VG.

        --m.
--
_______
"Now Simulcast on Crazy People's Fillings"