Re: Resampling in Live (Re: Ableton w/ VST Looper)

On 23 jun 2006, at 10.51, Buzap Buzap wrote:

>  (wasn't there actually a fetarure to group clips?).

Yes, it's called "scenes" - check that out in the PDF manual for
details. To fire off a scene you click one of the slots on the master
track (in session view - "the mixer"). You can also bind any MIDI
event or computer key to those master track slots. What happens then
is that all Clips on all tracks at the same horizontal line as the
triggering "scene slot" is triggered (according to their individual
"lunch clip" setting).

> Basically, I want to resample a clip while I'm messing with it's
> effects.

You can do that (see the Live Manual quote I posted a while back).

> Btw, I've just discovered the Crossfaders in Ableton. I find it
> actually quite useful not really for _cross_fading but rather
> starting a new scene with some tracks and having the other tracks
> fade in gradually via Crossfader.
> Whish they had crossfading between various scenes.

Crossfade is setting is track based. Scenes are horizontal. But if
you put some thinking into it you may find a way.

> Concerning Mobius:
> Is there anything really comparable in Mac?

No. Closest in regard of pitch shifting (á la Electrix Repeater)
comes AU-Looper, but it's just a tool for developers and sadly
doesn't work properly concerning MIDI binding for real-time control.
Sooper-Looper also comes close in regard of staying with and
developing the EDP tradition. It was originally a Linux looper but
works very well now as an AU plug-in in OS X. My personal favorite
for OSX is Augustus Loop. It was originally a tape delay sim AU plug-
in but has lately been enhanced with some looping and syncing
options. But it still has that cool "free-wheeling" tape loop feel
that is hard to get with Mobius or Sooper-Looper. For example, you
can feed Augustus with MIDI clips (if run as AU in Live) that work
the pitch in real-time - while you are overdubbing into the loop. The
easiest implementation of that would be to play only one note on your
instrument and step through the MIDI sequences to create melodies in
the loop. But then you can use your imagination to combine what you
play with what pitch-triggering sequence you feed the loop at the
same time. For the looping musician this calls for some "split-
vision" musical thinking just as the piano player needs to develop to
be able to play freely with left and right hand. Interesting and
funny stuff....

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)