Re: exploring what you've already got ever deeper

The proliferation of inexpensive VST effects,   multi-tasking DSP hardware
boxes
and stomp box pedals means that 'too many choices'  is just a part of the
landscape
in modern music.

What I like to keep in my mind around effects choices is some Papua New
Guinea tribesperson encountering
an instrument that has one effects box.............................knowing
nothing of what it can do
but being a very good and sensitive musician, he or she will do something
very interesting with
those minimal constraints.

I've been listening to a lot of Wire's Read and Burn (their latest) and
I"m
so blown away by
Colin Newman and Bruce Gilbert's extreme processing of incredibly
minimalistic guitar parts.
The net effect is soooooo simple but it feels so deep to me, musically.

I also like to keep in mind that every single time I"ve ever gone to a gig
with too many choices
in stomp box pedals and rack mount units that something always seems to
fuck
up.

I think it just may be my electronic karma (or perhaps the fact that I am
very impetuous and use things that I haven't
done my homework on).

 My  brother, as a contrast, is an effects genius and does more homework
than any single musician I've ever known (with the exception of Per Boysen
or Krispen Hartung)
on his effects.       I can always use his example to keep me humble but I
still like to
head into a gig with a few elements of extreme chance taunting me,
processing wise.........lol.
Michael Klobuchar is my idle in that respect.