Re: Tech 21 MIDI Mouse

Here's my report on this unit. I received it last week and had a chance to
experiment with it. I will work for my basic street looping MIDI control
needs. Essentially, it has three buttons.  It has UP and DOWN buttons to
scroll through you MIDI program change numbers.  If you are on program
change 1, and you hit the UP button, it will immediately send program
change
2, and visa versa.  Then it has a single button that serves two functions,
SEARCH and ACTIVATE. On the first press, it goes into search mode, where
you
can use the UP and DOWN buttons to find the MIDI program change number you
want to send. Once you find your number, you hit the button again and it
sends that change. If you send a program change and don't touch the unit
for
10 seconds, it will go into sleep mode. When you press the SEARCH/ACTIVATE
button key, it will not go into search mode, but directly send the program
change.

Hence, in practical terms, while using Mobius on the street, I hit the
SEARCH/ACTIVATE button and then ensure that the display shows 1 (which I
have mapped to Record on Mobius), then I hit SEARCH/ACTIVATE again to
Record. When I want to stop recording, I hit the button once to cue up
sending program change 1 again (or I can just do this shortly after I
start
recording so I don't have to think about it again), and then I hit it
again
to stop recording. I have Overdub mapped to program change 2, so I can
just
hit the UP button to start Overdubbing, and hit hit the SEARCH/ACTIVATE
button twice to stop overdubbing.  I just have to get used to hitting the
activate button once before I actually want to send the program change.

I wouldn't recommend using the MIDI Mouse for really complicated looping
where you are multiplying, using next loop, and other functions. You could
do it, I suppose, but it will require some fast multitasking while you are
playing to cue up your program change numbers to send with the one button
press. But for basic looping and being able to MIDI control with something
the size of a stomp box, I thought it was worth the money. I don't plan to
play on the street much, and who knows I may end up buying that new Boss
RC2.

Kris