Re: Sample sound clip from my notebook computer system

--- Krispen Hartung <khartung@cableone.net> wrote:

> Shall we develop the 12 steps to transitioning from
> a hardware to notebook
> guitar system? :)  First step: realizing that you
> are addicted to hardware.

I was thinking (am still) about this a lot as I have
been looking at software that can replace some of my
hardware synths.  I've always really dug synthesis and
this has really invigorated my love for all things
synth or processing.  Why?  Because it's no longer
tied to hardware.

Here's my case.  A few of us (and me) have been
bashing Roland/Boss because of what we percieve as
shortcomings on the RC-50.  Why?  Well because we feel
that above all Roland is a company.  A big company
with investors and a lot at stake to make them happy
with dividend checks.  When they make something they
think cash/feature.  If it's not something that will
help sell more units, more often than not it's tossed
to the curb.  Some suit says, "Let a boutique company
like Looperlative Audio Research take care of that
need."

At the end of the day, they're right.

But, along comes software processing/instruments.
Here an inventor/programmer can make anything the fuck
they want because other than the time and effort it
will take them to code it there is no other expense
incurred.  Features can be added and not a single
sweatshop worker will have to solder a damn thing to
make it happen.  Marketing?  Give betas away free and
talk to as many lists as you can about why your
product rocks and how interested you are in
suggestions and be honest about what features you'll
be adding in future revisions.

In the end what you find is a healthy crop of really
interesting and unique virtual devices that would
probably never be economically viable as hardware but
seem to be doing fine as software.  This is really,
really exciting.  It's a great time for music, that's
for sure.

Mark