Re: Re: Attitudes to instruments/loopers (Derek Bailey)

At 15:30 10/08/2006, you wrote:
>Kris wrote
>>>Yeah, it got me going. :)  An instrument is a possibility? Or a
>>>set? How is that possible? (no pun intended). I consider it an
>>>object, nor more or no less.  I mean, let's get literal and clear
>>>here: if I break my guitar up into bits, I find pieces of wood,
>>>metal, glue, and eventually I can put it under a microscope and
>>>find organic molecules, etc...but, low and behold, I can find no
>>>possibilities! They appear to be eluding the lens of the
>>>microscope.  Those clever possibilities, hiding inside the guitar
>>>somewhere....damn them to hell.
>>
>>Well yes, if you break it into molecules you won't be able to play at
>all :-)
>>...and there won't be a guitar there anymore. > So your
>>"refutation" doesn't add up.
>
>Well, it wasn't really a refutation, but poking fun and literally
>interpreting your statement that a guitar "is" a set of possibilities.

that wasn't my statement at all,
you changed it in 3 different ways ;-)

>I'm saying that is impossible and absurd, but I know what you mean
>and agree with you. The possibilities come from our minds, and
>guitar can inspire them and obviously be an critical part in
>actualizing them because of it's diverse functionality.

Over the years I've spent a lot of time just exploring the guitar
(and other instruments)
In a lot of my music, even including regular type classic guitar
pieces, there's been things I found "on the guitar" which sounded
quite a lot different to the expectation of my mind, these would
invariably be incorporated into compositions.
..and when I met the Vortex and EDP........

To quote Derek Bailey again (rather than risk trying to explain my own
version)
"The instrument is not just a tool but an ally. It is not only a
means to an end, it is a source of material, and the technique for
the improvisor is often an exploitation of the natural resources of
the instrument."

>>capable of producing  not only those sounds you already know it can
>>make, but also quite a few others. Can you find those other sounds?

try it :-)

andy