RE: Sampling machine ES-1?

 >> Does this have an input and output capability so that I can run it through my guitar effects chain. Are these better than the Boss SP-202 or SP-303. I am looking into getting either one of the Korgs or the BOSS units but I was wondering what unit was better?

All I want to do is run this through my guitar effects chain and use the sampling option to record different sounds such as a door closing or whatever and use these samples when playing live. I don't really need all the features of the Korg but if it has better sound quality then I would prefer to go with it? Does anyone have any more options maybe........All I need is a cheap sampler with mic/record capability and guitar in/out.  <<

I have the mk1 electribe es-1 sampler. you can sample in mono or stereo from mic/line inputs on the back. samples are stored non-volatile in internal memory & can be transferred to/from smart cards that go in the back. you can also manipulate the sounds on these cards using y'r computer & then poke them back into the korg.
the audio input can also be used via the sequencer for various gated/filtered/processed whackiness, including the gate timing & rhythm of the triggered pulses of audio, & the internal effects of the korg.
OR
you can bypass this & simply have the audio inputs be mixed with the sampler's own contributions, which still go through it's effects. for my money, the one & only drawback of these neat little toys (I have two) is that you can't have the audio inputs go straight to the internal effects without "passing through" the sequencer section first. a simple workaround for this is to "enable" the audio-input on every step of the sequence & turn the gate time right up. it's still a little choppy but that's actually quite nice if the whole box is either tap-tempo'd or running in sync with other effects. an adrenalinn it is not, but some cool effects can be had anyway.
as regards the sampler- it's basic. you can run samples backwards & change their pitch/length. you can time-slice loops so that bits of them that land on beats can be switched on or off. the memory, I think, is about 192 seconds, & this is retained on power-off. the sound quality is fine. I think it's 44kHz but I'm not sure without the thing in front of me. I have a door slam or two in mine.... :-)
I use the unit as a master clock because the tap-tempo button is big & squishy enough to hit with just about anything on a darkened stage, & the resulting clock is solid.

I can't compare it with the boss units in this context, but I've always preferred korg stuff anyway, if that means anything....

see if korg have the manual on-line.

hth-
duncan/r.m.i.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.If you have received this e-mail in error,
please e-mail the sender by replying to this message.

It is your responsibility to carry out appropriate virus and other
checks to ensure that this message and any attachments do not
affect your systems / data. Any views or opinions expressed in this
e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of MTV Networks Europe unless specifically stated,
nor does this message form any part of any contract unless so stated.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe