Re: "Instrument" vs "Effect"

On 7 Sep 2006 at 19:21, a k butler wrote:

> Krispen asks
> >>So, how does one define "instrument" in this forum?

A good question! One might not class a looping device as an
instrument, since it doesn't generate sound without an input, but
neither does a trumpet. Neither is it necessary to "play" an
instrument as the source of looped material - I've done pieces in the
past where the sole source of input was touching the end of a jack
lead plugged into the looper. You can create a wide range of sounds.

In addition, a lot of what I do is post-processing the loop, so
having generated the loop, the looper is then the instrument that is
playing while I mangle the sound further.

I used to describe myself as a "looper", but what I do is so far
removed from the latest generation of youtube "guitar wanking over a
riff" that I shall cease to do so. "Ambient improviser" has a nice
ring to it, at least until they market an "ambient" pedal -  New from
Digitech! Press the pedal, sound like Eno! only $26

All the best,

Nick Robinson