Re: CD Production

I always start with a 100 copies of my CDs, but then again I don't play that much and don't sell a lot of CDs.  And you can't always do this if you go with the glass mastered approach. Are you going with glass mastered CDs?  In my experience, the manufacturers who do glass mastering charge more and tend to require a minimum of 500 CDs to start....so that could impact your pricing.

For all my projects now, I go with high quality CD-Rs now from DiskFaktory, which are virtually indistinguishable from glass mastered CDs, and I've never had a single person send a CD back because it didn't play in their CD player...they are using some award winning and proprietary method for coping their CDs.  The CDs costs $3 a piece ($300 for 100) - silver backed CD-R (80 min) with full color printing on the front, full color 4 panel sleeve, full color tray insert, inside (see through jewel case) and out, and shrink wrapping.  I used to price my CDs at $12.99 on CD Baby, which meant I got $9 profit, but I know sell all my CDs on CD Baby for $5, just because I don't do it for the money.  $12.99 seems reasonable these days.

But then again prices are all over the place on CD Baby. I think it depends on your marketing approach. There are some theories and research that recommend how to price products in the market place to be competitive,  but I am not familiar with them off hand. All I know is that after I priced my CDs down to $5, a lot more people are buying them on CD Baby and at my gigs.  I had to send new shipments to CD Baby a week after I changed my pricing approach.  For me, it is more important to get my music out then to make a profit on my CDs. I make more money by playing gigs. But I know that this is neither an option nor desire for most other musicians.

Let me know when your CD is available, Fabio...I'll buy it. :)

Kris