Re: AW: fractal loops (was: keeping loops interesting)

At 20:55 19/09/2006, you wrote:
> > The obvious example of fractal sound is white noise.
>
>Why? I do not see the scale invariant relationship in white noise here,
>it's
>simple an ergodic (or almost statistac) thing.

One of the classic examples of a natural fractal is a coastline, the
join between the sea and land.
However much you zoom in on it, there's the same amount of detail.
...and white noise sounds the same at any playback speed.

>  What about a perfect sawtooth
>wave? Repetitions of the basic sine at every multiple of it...
>
> > Some gamelan music approximates a fractal, with slow moving
> > bass and progressively faster layers at higher pitch.
>
>But here I don't see how it is different to my (first) example with the
>two
>voices...

Yes, it's similar, but has a lot more layers.
A genuine fractal would have infinite layers of increasing detail,
and for me just having 2 layers doesn't hint at that at all.

andy butler