Re: fractal music (was Re: keeping loops interesting)

No, but I contributed....not big deal. My comments were only my own perspective on creating music.  I can only stomach the math and formulae for creating music for so long before I just need to pick up my instrument and play freely. I don't have any desire to start a debate, but you can if you want.

K-
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 4:49 PM
Subject: Re: fractal music (was Re: keeping loops interesting)

Aren't you the project leader on the CT-TwelveTone Dance project? :)

Anyway, just like 12-tone technique, it only seems that way until it becomes synthesized into your technique.

"...letting principle take hostage of my creativity and compositions..." is a matter of perspective. Pre-compositional designs and manipulations of basic materials have been the norm for Western Art music composers for centuries. Josquin des Pres composed a piece where the formal proportions were meant to be directly analogous to the proportions of a particular cathedral. Beethoven's notebooks are full of his various manipulations of basic building-blocks. His rigor provided a model that was hardly matched by even the adherents to post-WWII serialism. There are two ways of looking at preconceived designs: limiting or freeing. I personally often find that self-imposed limitations can often force me to be *more* creative than when I give myself carte blanche. I often find that carte blanche results in a lot of self-indulgence at the listener's expense (both in my own and in others music).

So, anyway, don't wanna start a huge debate on the merits of such things....but you asked for a concrete example...so I gave ya one. ;-)

(Incidentally, the compositional system devised and taught by Joseph Schillinger involved a lot of recursive processes in the development of a compositions most basic materials as well as variations/transformations of them. Probably the most well-known student of  Schillinger was George Gershwin whose "Porgy and Bess" is a textbook example of rigorous application of Schillinger's system. Few would argue that Porgy and Bess sounds like its composer was a slave to its mathematically preconceived design....just some food for thought.)

Cheers,

Jon