From: "Michael Peters" <mp@mpeters.de>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 1:25 PM
Subject: shoutcast server

> I'm looking for a cheap or free way to publish the 20-hour
> alternative/experimental CT-Collective music collection, or parts of it,
> somewhere on a Shoutcast server. Suggestions?
>
> What we already have is an on-demand stream (m3u file) that contains all
> tracks and that is randomized daily. But a Shoutcast stream would get
> listed
> in directories, possibly creating more publicity.
>
> in case you don't know it, check out www.ct-collective.com and click the
> ct-radio link for the on-demand stream.
>
> -Michael

How to stream your live performances to the web

There only two bits of software required to stream your performances to
the
web: Winamp and a plugin for winamp that connects you to a server...that's
it. It takes about 1 minute to plug in the IP address, port #, and some
other info into the winamp plugin, connect to the server, and it streams
anything you have coming into your line/mic in or just music you have
playing from your hard-drive.

Here is what you need to do to get things running:

1) Purchase server bandwidth from SHOUTcast

http://shoutcast.serverroom.us/

I went with the $11.99 US a month option, which allows me to stream 30 GIG
of traffic a month. If you stream at 64kbps, you can do the math on how
much
music you can stream.  If you had 30 listeners (the max number of
simultaneous listeners with the above package), and they all listened for
an
hour, that would be 64kbps X 60 X 30 = 115,200 kbps streamed in that
hour...roughly 1 / 260th of your monthly bandwidth.  30 GIG is 30,000 MB,
is
30,000,000 KB, divided by 115,200 is roughly 260.  That is 260 hours,
roughly 10 days of streaming.

NOTE: When you purchase your bandwith, you will eventually get access to
threee critical pieces of information: 1) The IP address you'll use to
configure the Winamp streamingsoftware, 2) the port number andn password
you'll use to configure the Winamp streaming software, 3) the URLs that
you'll use to manage/view your streaming server, and 4) th URL you'll give
to your listeners to listen to your live stream over the web

2) Download Winamp and the SHOUTcast DSP Plug-In for Winamp

a)      Winamp - http://www.shoutcast.com/download/broadcast.phtml#download

b)      Plugin -
http://www.shoutcast.com/downloads/shoutcast-dsp-1-8-2b-windows.exe

3) Configure Winamp and the SHOUcast Plugin

a)      Go to the Options, Preferences, and Plugins section of Winamp;
click
"DSP/Effect" in the left window, and then click "Nullsoft SHOUTcast Source
DSP" in the right window; close the setting window

b)      In the Output tab of your SHOUTcast Source Window (which launches
when you launch Winamp), click the Connection button and enter the IP
address, port number, and login you received or setup when you purchased
your SHOUTcast bandwidth

c)      Click the Yellow Pages button and enter your stream description or
title if you want it to be public (you can enter other info as well, such
as
a URL, AIM instant messenger ID, etc)

d)      Click the Encoder tab and select "MP3 Encoder" for Encoder type,
and
then select your desired stream quality in the Encoder Settings dropdown
menu

e)      Click the Input tab and select "Soundcard Input" in the Input
Device
dropdown menu

f)        Set the input setting to 44100hz, Stereo

g)      Select Mic Input or Line Input under the Mic Input section (try
Line
Input first)

h)      Open the control panel for your soundcard (for recording levels),
plug the output of your live performance (e.g,, tape out our AUX out of a
mixer board) into the line-in of your computer, and click the Input tab in
the SHOUTcast Source window to view your levels (adjust your soundcard
record level or your mixer output level to attain an appropriate
level...consistently under 0db)

i)        Once you have a decent input level, click the Output tab, and
then
click the Connect button (Winamp should connect with the server, and you
should be broadcasting the output of your mixer board.

4) Provide the broadcast info to your listeners

a)      When you purchase your bandwith, you will also recieve a URL for
listeners. It will be something like http://216.13.162.58:9030/ (they go
a URL like this and click "Listen")

b)      Winamp is the recommended player for users to connect to your
stream, but I hear that iTunes works as well (you basically need a player
that will recognize and read a .pls file)

c)      When you are streaming your performance to the web, you can also
go
to the above URL and see how many people are listening

5) View reports on how much bandwidth you are using, how many users, etc
at
this URL:

https://secure.serverroom.us/login.php?SID=b60c16005ff23386cccb3ed5a73eb4fd

You will login with the email and password you used to purchase your
bandwidth and setup your account