Re: 2880 midi sync experience report (my first post)

Charles Zwicky <cazwicky@earthlink.net> writes,
>  If you run the 2880 as the MIDI clock master, you can eliminate the
> tape machine reverse ballistics, and also this will allow you to stop
> the MPC and keep the 2880 running. In this case you should set the
> quantize loop switch ON. Also, by using the 2880 as the master, there
> will be no issues with recording during the initial pass.

I can vouch for this, as well as for the original poster's experience with
using the 2880 as a slave.

My experience has been that about half the time, when using the 2880 as a
clock
slave and ending the initial recording of a loop by putting it into
playback
mode, the 2880 will varispeed its audio trying to sync up with the master.
 The
result is some weird sea-sick speed/pitch modulation which lasts about one
time
thru the playback of the loop.  After that its locked in and solid.

Because of that, for my purposes its best to use the 2880 as the clock
master.
If you need to know the exact BPM setting, you can often use the BPM
display on
one of your clock slaves.  In my case, my E-mu PX-7 will conveniently
display
the BPM it is getting from the 2880.  Used as a master, you don't have to
fool
around with recording blank loops, or starting your master device before
you
start recording your loops.

OTOH, the drawback is that the 2880 sends MIDI start commands when you, 1)
start a new loop, and 2) Hit the record button.  I don't necessary want my
PX-7 to start playback at those times, so I have set it to ignore external
start/stop commands.  I use a footswitch to manually start it at the time I
want it to and that works as expected.

After sorting thru some issues, I can now sync the 2880, my PX-7 and my
primary
effects unit (a Boss GT-8) which does really cool things with beat-synced
effects.  I'm a happy camper.

D7

D7

Dumeril7                    dumeril7@SPAMBEGONEyahoo.com
Anti-spam measures in place -- remove "SPAMBEGONE" from
my e-mail address if you want to use it....