Re: Short loop fades more quickly than long loop with same feedback setting

On 28 sep 2006, at 07.49, Warren Sirota wrote:

> How do you create a swell with destructive feedback, anyway? As I
> recall, at
> least on the EDP, no matter where you set the feedback knob, the
> volume of
> the loop never increases without new input.

You can "pump" the feedback knob/pedal to decrease/increase playback
level. On the EDP this works as long as you stay in the same loop
round ( I think...). This will create tremolo or quick fade-in/out
effects in the audio. This is a technique I'm using a lot for playing
the EDP as well as Mobius (where you have the infinite Undo/Redo
history to go back if you should overdo it by mistake)

> It still seems to me that the destructive nature of the feedback is an
> implementation artifact rather than a feature.

Yes, I think you are correct IF we are talking about "using feedback
as a way to cheat a fading function". But Feedback is a completely
different function compared to Fading. Anyone interested should try
to PLAY with these function and learn what they are good, and less
good, for.

On 28 sep 2006, at 05.57, Warren Sirota wrote:

> And this is different than fading a track or group of tracks while
> playing
> or looping on others?

Yes. A lot different.

> I'm beginning to feel like we're talking about the
> same thing with different words here....

I think you feel that way because you just don't need that particular
functionality that sets feedback and fading apart. I too design my my
looping rig from my musical need, as opposed to designing it from
"feature specifications" and I think that is very important. I
especially take care to cut out, from my palette, everything that I
don't need to be creative. At least for myself, I think it's much
easier to create interesting music/sound when you have less options
to keep instantly accessible in your working imagination. "Kill your
darlings" as we say ;-)

BTW I have different knobs/faders/pedals for two types of feedback
(as those "pedals interface modes" of the EDP) as well as looper/
track level. IMHO they are all different tools.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)