Re: Software to replace multieffects box (was Laptop loopers, what do you do with your favorite rack gear?)

On 11 nov 2006, at 19.07, mark sottilaro wrote:

> Well all righty then.  What software would you use to
> replace a unit like the MPX-1?

Well, well... there's no easy answer to that. Below I'm pasting in
the six modules of the MPX-1 and their parameters. You have to find a
software solution that (1) offers the same processing and (2) offers
the same routing as the MPX-1. I don't have an MPX-1 and I don't have
time to read the rest of its manual to learn how its routing
schematics are implemented. But  if I did I would either look into
Max/MSP to take on the project of recreating those audio processing
modules or I'd look into Bidule and the project of assembling AU or
VST plug-ins that equal the MPX-1 and do the wiring up in Bidule.

Hardware devices like the MPX-1 (or my FireworX) are typically
extremely good at what they are supposed to be good at. So you can
dedicate time to study them in detail and be sure to learn a lot. The
same can not be said about software, because software tend to take on
a much more versatile role (which is the kind version - the not so
kind version is to say that software doesn't give a clue about where
to start and will typically keep you occupied for way too much time
without resulting in anything particularly useful at all)

Per

--> Pitch
Detune (M)
Detune (S)