Re: Keller Williams / jam bands/ rc50

> Fake passion, real passion, purple passion, purple people eater
passion....the entertainment industry could care less. Like I said,
sometimes playing the "I'm sincere" card backfires, because people flock to
insincerity.

How do you know it's insincere?  Because *you* think it is?  And if you're
"playing the sincere card", that's insincere!  Dude . . . word up man.
Quit
playing and start being real.

Many actors step into and out of character, yet still retain their
integrity. How?  They still have an honest desire to either entertain,
transcend, communicate, inspire, incite. There's something they're trying
accomplish. At lower levels, they commit all sorts of apprentice mishaps,
and will probably admit they've compromised in some way.  The good ones
retain their integrity and move on, and I believe *most* of the fakers
don't
thrive. (This is all just my opinion). So that still leaves a few that make
it. But I believe they're the exception.

> > . . . For a creative guy, you're sounding somewhat intolerant.

> It's not intolerance...it's sincerity. Couldn't you tell that I was
playing a role of the devil's advocate? Partly, and partly not...that's for
you to figure out, I guess...but you sort of validate my point above. With
little effort on this list, I "could" write response after response and no
one will ever know whether I actually believe what I'm writing or
not...this
can be the case for anyone, and even music performance....looping or not.
can take on any persona I choose, and in the end only my closest friends
and
musical colleagues understand my motives and thinking processes.

It doesn't matter what *we*, *others* or *I* know . . . it's about you. If
your intent isn't to communicate honestly, it's about deceit. You may have
artistic reasons for the guise, and that may have an integrity artistically
that will carry the day. But you'll have to live with that, and *real*
insincerity will taint your communication, actor-artist or otherwise. It's
on YOU.

My belief is that however corny, contrived, or schlocky others perceive
someone's act to be, that person gets up in the morning and intends to do
their best. If their best is cheesy to you, so what? They're being honest,
and commiting to a plan of action. More power to them, and their honest
effort deserves respect. You don't have to like it, but it's worthy. Is a
devil's advocate and poseur just-for-the-fake-of-it worthy?

> But, seriously, yes, I have experienced many magical moments from utterly
simple pieces of performances.  I don't see your point, though. I was
intentionally marginalizing his performance with the observation that what
he does is not particular difficult to do or that original and creative,
and
magical moments don't negate that fact.

My point is to ask:  If it's so easy-if there's nothing unusual-if it's all
ordinary and bland; what IS it that draws people and inspires them?  Is it
intangible?  Spiritual?  Honest?  Pertinent?  I'm not really attracted to
the Jam Band genre either!  But I'm not willing to dismiss other's success
and hard work and question their integrity; It turns our discussion into a
pissing contest.  I hope to retain a sense of curiosity about the
possiblities of the many paths open to me rather than close them all off.

My final question is:  Do we all have to be prodigies?  Must we be
mentally,
mechanically and technologically better than . . . who?  What kind of
contest is this?  I may have found myself in entirely the wrong forum, but
AM a looper, and have spent some serious time experimentally and
technologically so I guess I have a right to ask.