AW: software newbie

Dan,

while there are good reasons for several people to use a computer for
looping, I wouldn't see them in your case based on what you describe,
because what you're seeing is not the limitations of hardware, but the
limitations of your hardware, the Headrush.

What you might do hardware-wise:
        * use more than one looper
        * use a looper which allows for multi-track looping
        * use a looper which allows for multiple loops
        * use a looper with powerful undo/redo capabilities

Software-wise, you can also browse the archives about different
possibilities. Basically, there are two different basic approaches together
with a hybrid in-between:
        * pure laptop setup: all signal processing (including looping) is
done in the laptop
        * laptop loops only, all other signal processing is done with
hardware FX
        * hybrid: the laptop does looping and signal processing, hardware
boxes are used for additional processing

As for software, there are several solutions both for Windows and Mac
machines, both standalone and plugins. They include:
        * Mobius (Windows only, standalone and VST)
        * SooperLooper (Mac)
        * Augustus (Mac)
        * using a powerful audio processing system with hand-made setups
(e.g. MAX, Reaktor)

Finally, depending on what you want to do, there might be the possibility
use some "DJ-style" loop-based audio sequencer (e.g. Ableton Live!).

So the best thing would be if you would elaborate a little more on what you
want to do (your way of working musically or how you intend to work) and
what your ancilliary conditions are (like computer platform, preference for
hardware or computer,...), and then we would be able to give
recommendations
in greater detail.

        Rainer