Re: Tubes in Pre-amps: your expertise and honest opinion.

There's a company called, I THINK, 3D Audio that sells a CD with all of the different pre amps and mics recorded in a pristine environment so you can HEAR the sound of each pre and mic. That way you can listen and make your own discoveries & judgments. I don't think a bad tube mic pre is better than a quality solid state (SS) pre. Millennia makes some very nice no tube pre's. Lots of folks do. And if you have a tube mic many folks say it's best to run it into a SS mic pre. That's what I'm doing right now with my big tube mic and it sounds great.

I have a little (relatively cheap - $600 USD) Chameleon mic pre that's modeled after the old Neve and it is amazing. No tube. I have a Summit mic pre with tube that's wonderful too. The Chameleon is more transparent, clear. The Summit is fatter. Also have a Daking 4 channel no tube (modeled after the old Trident mic pre's) that's somewhere in between! Just to confuse things...

I haven't bought the 3D Audio CD but I've heard it's a mind blower because some of the cheaper mic's and mic pre's sound as good as or better than some of the very expensive ones. Might be worth investing in if you're shopping for stuff. That way you're making a very educated decision based on your ears. There's lots of opinions out there but each is tailored to the individual's needs and tastes... or what they're selling.

Ah! Here's the link:

http://www.3daudioinc.com/

richard sales
glassWing farm and studio