Tubes,sound perception etc.

   What I hear in tubes I don't describe as warmth ,but color,the way
overtones bloom and decay has a response curve that has more vivid
color,and
the nuances of the way they shift are pleasing.Contrast is a very strong
elemnt in perception as well so the context in which a sound is heard
makes
a big difference.Natural skin hand drums are rich in tonal timbre-more,ie
complex overtones ,compared with more modern industrially produced trap
drums,with more uniform response.The latter I hear as having a more
discrete
envelope which can be easier to seat in a mix.  I have a classic mesa
boogie,early 70s mkII b+,and a polytone which is ss,and sounds very sweet
and warm. I prefer clean tones,and this boogie is known for it's clean
channel. Interestingly enough.At volumes way beyond where I want to play
,whe the tubes are really glowing it gets that singing saggy sustain,but I
never play that loud.I've got an amp with distortion tones like rockers
pay
big bucks for that's a plastic chinese made toy a v-tech groovy tunes
model
9612 from the thrift store,1.99( I beat Rick to this one) it's 4x6x.2.5
and
it wails.
  Here's an interesting bit on how the brain responds to music.This guy
was
abigtime music producer that got a phd in psychoacoustics from stanford.

Experience the magic of the holidays. Talk to Santa on Messenger.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0080000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/santabot/default.aspx?locale=en-us