Re: Tubes in Pre-amps: your expertise and honest opinion.

Per wrote:
> L-O-L!  I'm not a vintage purist but to my ears the dinosaurs sound
> differently compared to SS based gear.

My thoughts on SS vs. tubes will appear soon, if not already, but
regarding:
> myself I prefer my SS Gallien-Krüger, not for the sound but for the
> accurate timing response. But I have not looked deeply into this, so
> maybe my tube amp would respond with a better feel if I was using 10"
> speakers with it? (I doubt that though)

I don't doubt it at all. I would highly reccommend trying different
speakers
for live work, particularly with those "dinosaur" tube amps. Not only is
there the complex mojo of the speaker/transformer interaction, but I find
that differences as small as 1 or 2 dB in frequency response will translate
to moderately different feels and responses when used in a live setting.
Speaker swapping is an expensive habit, but when you can do it, try it.

Douglas Baldwin, coyote-at-large
www.thecoyote.org
coyotelk@optonline.net

"Life! Life!