Re: emusic (was Cuong Vu (was John Hassell)

I have always sympathized with eMusic. When they started in April
1998 I was busy writing a book (in Swedish) on digital online music
distribution, so I had a strong interest in keeping an eye on their
experiment. eMusic  started under the name "Goodnoise" and was self
proclaimed as "The Internet Record Company". The web site looked like
a magazine and all they did was publishing new on artists like Nine
Inch Nails and Garbage. I sent them letters to ask what they were up
to (because that "The Internet Record Company" kept puzzling me) but
they kept the secret by heart. David Weekly http://david.weekly.org/
was writing on the same topic as I, but in English, and he told me
that he recognized some of the early names behind "Goodnoise" as key
people in a company called PGP, Pretty Good Privacy, that was working
with digital encryption. I thought that was both funny and typical;
these software guys new what was going to happen and they set out to
be pioneers in selling music content in a DRM free format. Then Warp
Record launched their web shop http://www.bleep.com/ as the first
traditional Record Label to sell music digitally in an open format.
Warp offered new music as mp3 together with mp3 files of the normal
vinyl records they were already famous for bringing out.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)