Re: ANN: Freewheeling Live Looper 0.5.5 Release (Mac OS X / Linux)

Hey, Per--

Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad you like the design.

I checked out your website-- like you, I'm a freakish culture crosser,
improviser, and instrumentalist. I also have the great blessing of being
able to work on musical tools, to make them fly in the best way
possible! So any feedback you have is received with gratitude.

To answer your question on MIDI clock-- yes. As of 0.5.5, Freewheeling
can transmit MIDI clock. You have to enable it. By default, Freewheeling
comes configured with several MIDI outs, and MIDI clock is sent to the
first one. You can change all of that by editing ~/.fweelin/.fweelin.rc
(a hidden file on your Mac).

But assuming you're happy with MIDI clock sent out the first port, just
start up Freewheeling and press shift+F1. The sync panel should appear
near the bottom of the screen. Press shift+F2 to toggle MIDI clock
transmit. Once the indicator is lit, you can close the sync panel and
begin improvising.

Now, you've got two ways to start. You either use F2 to tap a tempo, and
Freewheeling starts transmitting sync immediately. Or, you grab a loop
first, using any of your loop triggers. Then you press F1, which creates
a pulse, using that first loop as the tempo for other loops to come.
Either way, once you have a pulse (which shows up as a pie graph on the
top right side), MIDI clock is being sent. F5 gives you a metronome.

Let me know what you find!

Thanks Again,
-~Mercury