Re: Imogen&Zoe

On 2-Feb-07, at 10:38 AM, Matthias Grob wrote:
I had imagined looping as an impro tool, but those two professionals show that its very seriously supports complex compositions. And it still feels very different from calling ready samples!

And the room was packed, there is a public for this music, as oposed to most experimental looping we are hearing...

I had a great evening!
Matthias

I'd really like to see them do it. Is there video?

I don't use it as an improv tool, more as a composing & live performance assistant. But I love some of the improv stuff I've seen from you all (actually... all o' y'all). I keep going back to Steve Lawson's myspace because I think he's doing something between composing and improv. And he does it so well.

To me, it's all about melody and originality. If you can do improv and pull the listener in in the same way a heart/mind expanding composed melody can, then you will pack the house. OR... if you're so original you dazzle the mind of the listener with new vistas of possibility, you could maybe not pack a big house but certainly could have a very interested house - which may be more rewarding in the long run. But the combo of originality and melody never fails. Add rhythm and you're headed for the bank... unless you get side tracked along the way.

Which most of us do. Offspring, new cars, gimgacks, flattering bosses, household chores and the ultimate distractor - things on TV screens and monitors.

Hey! Maybe I should make a bumper sticker...

"So many distractions, so little time!"

richard sales
glassWing farm and studio
vancouver island, b.c.