Re: OT: Memorizing jazz chords

Warren, very cool blog, I've just read a few of the entries but it's
very interesting. I feel kinda the same about jazz, where I've worked at
playing it for years (including formal study in music school) but when
playing with "true jazz" players, I feel out of my element, outclassed.
Reading your blog is inspiring me to get out the Real Book again.

The blog is very well-written, with a nice balance of technical harmony
and insight. The only thing I'd suggest is to be consistent with linking
to the tunes you mention, for instance you have an entry on Miles'
"Solar", and sometimes link to that entry and sometimes not. Links all
over the place makes a blog seem more lively, much like Wikipedia.

On memorization techniques, I've just read an excellent book written by
Bob Harris, who is a big Jeopardy champion, called
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307339564?ie=UTF8&tag=bobharriscom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0307339564>"Prisoner

of Trebekistan".  Though the book wanders all over the place between
Jeopardy  games, life philosophy and some very funny stuff, he talks in
some detail about memorization techniques that he used for the games.
It's a great read.

compulsively, I must link: *http://tinyurl.com/2ncafz*

I love "Solar", especially when I found that's the piece inscribed on
Miles' gravestone.

cheers,

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com