Re: Hattler almost loops

On 4 feb 2007, at 23.54, Stefan Tiedje wrote:

> I just came across this video of one of my favourite bass players...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_VF35Wa2iA
>
> Is playing to a delay also considered looping?
> I think yes, the loop is just played once...

Yes, I too think it is "looping" when you play with feedback set to
0, as in that video. I use to practice like that sometimes, and the
hardest challenge is to think fast enough to go through chord
changes. You always have to play something that fits with what you
played in the last round AND that will also be fitting with were you
will go on the next round. So you can't do drastic changes, you have
to "morph" lines into each other. Harmonic improvisation with that
setting works like a mountain climber; you move one leg, then you
move one arm, then you move the next limb etc etc. Never able to move
two limbs, just one at a time - each move building on the last move
as well as making a good foundation for the next move.

A similar way of playing is when you are using reverse function in a
looper. You play one round of the loop, hit reverse, and then play
together with your old, now reversed, playing . This too brings the
challenge of "multi directional" thinking, since you need to
sometimes reverse your imagined lines to make them work. Great fun
and also tremendously frustrating at times ;-))

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)