Re: Hattler almost loops

My reply on Mr Hattler's playing? Steve Lawson. And Mike Manring.

It brings to mind the name of that cool King Crimson record... what was it???? Ah! 'Discipline'!

But, my hat's off to all who court the muse! And I really mean that. But, as Wilson Pickett once so wisely said, "Ninety nine and a half just won't do!" I think Mr Hattler, like so many of us including me, have to do the hard labor to get that last half percent. He certainly could! But it can take years... OR it can happen in the blink of an eye. That's pretty rare though.

I think it was Carl Jung who said, "Many reach the grail castle, but most fall through the trick trap door just at the entrance." I know I have a million times.

It's all about practice, rehearsal, recording and critically listening to what we do without rosy glasses on and without negative glasses on - to just honestly evaluate what we do and fix the blems. Perfection is the enemy of the good... but that doesn't mean we stop striving.

I don't think his bass playing has reached the state of grace. Fortunately, that's okay. I wouldn't discourage or disparage it. I'd say the same thing to him that I say to myself, "Keep going! You're SO close!!!"

I believe that music, when it's in that state of grace, can shift the world up a notch. I and many others wanna see the world shift up a notch. So I support all who try and encourage those who think they're 'there' to keep going! Keep going! Keep going! Shift it WAY up!

Go Mr Hattler! I have faith in you

richard sales
glassWing farm and studio
vancouver island, b.c.